Let’s change the world together!
USC is a leading private research university located in Los Angeles – a global center for arts, technology and international business. As the city’s largest private employer, responsible for more than $8 billion annually in economic activity in the region, we offer the opportunity to work in a dynamic and diverse environment, in careers that span a broad spectrum of talents and skills across a variety of academic schools and units. As a USC employee, you will enjoy excellent benefits and perks, and you will be a member of the Trojan Family - the faculty, staff, students and alumni who make USC a great place to work. Think you’ve got what it takes to join us? We invite you to search our open positions and apply!
Postdoctoral Scholar - Research Associate - ISI BostonApply Viterbi School of Engineering Waltham, Massachusetts
USC’s Information Sciences Institute (ISI), a unit of the university’s Viterbi School of Engineering, is a world leader in the research and development of advanced artificial intelligence, information processing, computing, cybersecurity, and communications technologies. ISI’s 400 faculty, professional staff and graduate students carry out extraordinary information sciences research at three distinct locations - Marina Del Rey, CA; Arlington, VA; and Waltham, MA.
*This position is located in Waltham, MA.*
Information Sciences Institute seeks a Postdoctoral Scholar – Research Associate. This is a 2-year, fixed-term appointment, with possibility of extension.
Post Docs at ISI Boston contribute to research projects involving natural language understanding, fusion of information from text and video sources, and the application of pre-trained language models as a knowledge repository. Post docs have the opportunity to work with and mentor USC Masters students, interns, and research programmers. Post docs participate in project meetings and collaborate both internally and externally.
Possible Research directions for this position include:
- Probing the knowledge in a large pre-trained language model and the ability of the pre-trained language model to learn by reading and to improve the model’s ability to recognize its own uncertainty.
- Script discovery from narrative descriptions of events
- Predicting what people will do, given a pre-trained language model and previous acts/conditions
- The application of similarity metrics to (i) identify clusters of mentions of the same event across documents; (ii) automatically extending discovered scripts; (iii) grounding the events and participants in a script to terms in external resources (e.g. Wikidata); (iv) discovering shared sub-units of discovered scripts to build a library of reusable discovered event sequences; (v) automatic evaluation and measurement of generative question answering systems; (vi) the organization of conflicting hypotheses derived from information extraction.
- Dialogue systems designed specifically to engage with phishing attacks.
Required Documents: CV and Research Statement
Candidates are encouraged to include information about which of the above topics are of the most interest to them.
The University of Southern California values diversity and is committed to equal opportunity in employment.
Minimum Education: Ph.D. or equivalent doctorate within previous three years Minimum Experience: 0-1 year Minimum Field of Expertise: Directly related education in research specialization with advanced knowledge of equipment, procedures and analysis methods.
REQ20104346 Posted Date: 08/05/2021 Apply