Let’s change the world together!
USC is a leading private research university located in Los Angeles – a global center for arts, technology and international business. As the city’s largest private employer, responsible for more than $8 billion annually in economic activity in the region, we offer the opportunity to work in a dynamic and diverse environment, in careers that span a broad spectrum of talents and skills across a variety of academic schools and units. As a USC employee, you will enjoy excellent benefits and perks, and you will be a member of the Trojan Family - the faculty, staff, students and alumni who make USC a great place to work. Think you’ve got what it takes to join us? We invite you to search our open positions and apply!
Quantum ResearcherApply Viterbi School of Engineering Waltham, Massachusetts
Information Sciences Institute (ISI), a unit of USC’s Viterbi School of Engineering, is a world leader in the research and development of advanced information processing, computing, and communications technologies. ISI operates one of the world’s largest academic high-performance computing clusters. ISI has three research campuses: one in Marina Del Rey, CA; one in Arlington, VA; and one in Waltham, MA. The University of Southern California/Information Sciences Institute is one of the nation’s largest, most successful university-affiliated computer research institutes. Our work ranges from theoretical basic research, such as core engineering and computer science discovery, to applied research and development, such as design and modeling of innovative prototypes and devices.
*This is a full-time position located in Waltham, MA.*
ISI Laboratory for Quantum-Limited Information is looking for talented, ambitious researchers to lead and impact experimental programs in quantum optics and quantum information research efforts. Successful candidates for this position will have experience working in free-space and fiber optical systems for applications in communications and optical sensing, particularly focused on photon-starved states of light. The candidate will also have the opportunity to generate research ideas in optical sensing, communications and computation, and execute research projects in close collaboration with others, publish their research advances in top tier conferences and journals, and demonstrate leadership in the greater professional community. Candidates will have broad background and experience in quantum optics experimentation in the visible and infrared wavelengths. Experience generating and characterizing non-classical states of light is particularly desirable, as well as experience in quantum information experimentation in integrated nanophotonic circuits.
This is a full-time position.
ISI’s research center in Waltham, MA welcomes applications from experimentalists in any of the following areas:
- Quantum optics
- Quantum information to include quantum sensing, communications and computation
- Quantum tomography
- Single-photon and non-classical state generation and characterization
- Silicon photonics
- Optical computing
- Remote optical sensing
Examples of current research projects include:
- Optical receivers that achieve the fundamental quantum limit of sensitivity for sensing and discrimination.
- Entanglement generation and detection.
- Novel devices for optical communications in the LWIR wavelength range
- Passive detection and characterization of atmospherically scattered laser light
- Experience working in free-space and fiber optical systems for applications in communications and optical sensing, particularly focused on photon-starved states of light.
- Broad background and experience in quantum optics experimentation in the visible and infrared wavelengths.
- Experience generating and characterizing non-classical states of light is particularly desirable
- Experience in quantum information experimentation in integrated nanophotonic circuits
- Ph.D. in physics or engineering is highly desired
The University of Southern California values diversity and is committed to equal opportunity in employment.
Minimum Education: Master's degree, Combined experience/education as substitute for minimum education Minimum Experience: 3 years Minimum Field of Expertise: Knowledge of research processes and computer science.
REQ20108840 Posted Date: 10/24/2021 Apply