Let’s change the world together!
USC is a leading private research university located in Los Angeles – a global center for arts, technology and international business. As the city’s largest private employer, responsible for more than $5 billion annually in economic activity in the region, we offer the opportunity to work in a dynamic and diverse environment, in careers that span a broad spectrum of talents and skills across a variety of academic schools and units. As a USC employee, you will enjoy excellent benefits and perks, and you will be a member of the Trojan Family - the faculty, staff, students and alumni who make USC a great place to work. Think you’ve got what it takes to join us? We invite you to search our open positions and apply!
Facilities ManagerApply Facilities Los Angeles, California
The USC Iovine and Young Academy is seeking a Facilities Manager to join its team to manage the maintenance, allocation and utilization of space and equipment across all school facilities.
The ideal candidate will have experience with spaces that house advanced or specialized classroom and maker space technologies and equipment, including 3D printers, laser cutters, CNC routers, etc., and experience with new construction, buildouts, and renovations. The Facilities Manager will work with the dean, faculty and staff to ensure that the facilities are sufficiently equipped and in the best physical condition to support high-level teaching and learning.
Major Job Accountabilities Include:
- Supervises employees and/or student workers, as assigned. Schedules, assigns and prioritizes workloads. Sets appropriate deadlines. Monitors employee performance on a regular basis. Ensures timely completion of work.
- Coordinates with university departments and/or outside contractors and vendors for facilities operations and maintenance projects.
- Develops and administers the annual operating budget for the facilities managed. Reviews, authorizes and monitors expenses for utilities, materials and supplies, repairs, maintenance and project work. Provides budget analyses on a regular basis.
- Prepares long and short-range plans for the use of equipment and facilities. Maintains analysis of space and equipment requirements and allocates usage based on departmental priorities. Prepares analyses and proposals for new, upgraded or expanded facilities.
- Works with the dean, university administrative departments (e.g. legal counsel, real estate, etc.) and other outside entities (e.g. real estate brokers) to develop and implement long-range real estate plans, including the sourcing of new property and assisting with lease negotiations, build-outs and finish design assessment and approvals.
- Supervises operation and maintenance of classroom facilities and equipment. Provides advice on equipment acquisition or enhancement, classroom operation, monitoring and maintenance.
- Controls and monitors equipment and supplies inventory. Approves supply orders and negotiates directly with vendors as appropriate.
- Develops and implements deferred maintenance and preventative maintenance programs.
- Manages environmental health and safety programs. Conducts safety inspections, determining whether conditions are safe and any remedial actions required to allow work to continue. Maintains records for compliance with government and university regulations, as applicable.
- Conducts periodic security surveys. Coordinates and resolves security concerns. Controls procedures for facility access to include establishment of guidelines for issue of keys and maintenance of related records.
- Inspects equipment and coordinates required repairs and/or purchases.
- Coordinates security activities with university Public Safety Department. Promotes and maintains standards for security conscious awareness and behavior. Maintains knowledge of university's crime prevention and suppression programs and services. Ensures dissemination of security related information to staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree. Combined experience/education as a substitute for minimum education.
- 2-3 years in a Facilities Manager or equivalent role
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work successfully within a team of staff and faculty members.
- Occasional evening and weekend work may be required.
- Master’s degree
- Understanding of higher education operations and a familiarity with highly technical fabrication equipment and creative technologies.
- 3-5 years in a Facilities Manager role
USC has excellent benefits, including health benefits for staff and their family with access to the renowned university medical network; eligibility for retirement plans with employer contributions after one year of employment; tuition benefits for staff and their family; free Professional Development classes; central Los Angeles location with easy access to commuter trains, buses and free tram pick up services; discounts to sporting and other campus events.
USC employees – both faculty and staff – are eligible for a 50% subsidy on the cost of transit passes purchased through USC Transportation. The program includes LA Metro, LADOT and Metrolink passes, with more options being made available in the future.
USC Jimmy Iovine and Andre Young Academy
The USC Jimmy Iovine and Andre Young Academy for Arts, Technology and the Business of Innovation is the 20th professional school established at the University of Southern California. Founded as an educational startup, the Academy is not just a home for disruptors but a disruptor itself. Focusing at the intersection of the arts, design, technology, and business, Academy programs prepare students to take on the complexities of a 21st-century marketplace, and to tackle society’s most intractable problems. Academy graduates possess significant abilities as leaders, creatives, and cross-disciplinary team members that focus on high-level problem solving in areas as diverse as communication, product development, human-centered design, e-commerce, health and well-being, social change, and the future of the arts, media and entertainment ecosystems. As creators who are well prepared for an ever-changing global landscape, Academy students and graduates are sought after for highly competitive internships, fellowships and full-time positions at a roster of prestigious organizations that includes many of the world’s largest and most significant companies.
The University of Southern California, founded in 1880, is located in the heart of Downtown Los Angeles and is the largest private employer in the City of Los Angeles. Ranked 18th among U.S. colleges and universities by the Wall Street Journal, USC is one of the world's leading private research universities and a global center for the arts, technology, medicine, and international trade. As an employee of USC, you will be part of a world-class university and a member of the "Trojan Family," which is comprised of the faculty, students and staff that make USC the great institution that it is today.
Minimum Education: Related undergraduate study, Combined experience/education as substitute for minimum education Minimum Experience: 2 years Minimum Field of Expertise: Coursework and/or experience in business administration along with work experience in facilities management
REQ20083862 Posted Date: 01/15/2020 - Thru date - 2020-02-29 Apply